Friday, April 24, 2009

Odds and Ends

Local intellectual and author Jim Browder stopped by for a visit the other day. As we briefly discussed writing, Jim mentioned how much harder it is to write a monthly column than a weekly or daily. I concurred. I'll try to get into a better groove. I miss it when I lay off too long and ideas pile up and its hard to sort them out and remember the inspiration if I wait too long. We also had computer trouble at the church so today's offerings are just odds and ends to get me typing again and catch up a bit. --Do you remember A Man Called Steve from Jaunary's blog. His name is Larry. I ran into him at Wal Mart not too long ago. He is content but physically he didn't seem to be doing too well. I'd appreciate it if you would pray for him. He probably more so. --If you have the Sheerluck Holmes Veggie Tales dvd. be sure and watch the "Gated Community" song. It's also on YouTube but its in German. I think our church's music director, Cynthia, should get the choir to do it. Good message. White Bluff folks would get a kick out of it. You can always use the excuse that you're buying the dvd for your grandkids if you feel awkward buying a children's dvd. --Speaking of church staff, our Associate Pastor, Ann, dropped in the office one afternoon. She looked like she had been on the golf course. I asked, "what did you shoot?" She didn't want to respond. I said at least I didn't ask her her age or weight. Later, as she was leaving, she called out "107". I'm still wondering if she meant her weight, age, or golf score. --On a recent visit to the nursing home I passed a resident sitting in a wheelchair in the doorway to her room. She had a beautiful, almost angelic face and very smooth skin. She had obviously been to the beauty shop as her hair was nicely coiffured. On my way back from visiting my church member I thought I'd speak a "hello" to this lovely lady. As I approached her I slowed down and went over to speak and with a voice out of The Exorcist I heard an emphatic "Keep Moving!" Oops, I'd found the nursing home's self-appointed hall monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment