Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Can't See the Forest for the Golfballs

I am cheap.

This comes as no surprise to those who know me even moderately well. Part of this thrift comes from growing up in rural Texas the son of depression era parents trying to make a living on rented farm land. Another component of my cheapness comes from the necessity of being so due to the relatively modest salaries of pastor's of small churches and mission churches, especially in my younger days. Another part is I think I'm just stubborn and won't easily admit defeat--I take it as a personal defeat that I can't get one more glob of toothpaste out of the tube or wear that tee-shirt from 1977's summer camp at least one more time before it shreds in the washer.

 It's not that I don't have areas where great improvement might be made in stewardship of earthly goods but I'm for the most part just cheap. This serves me well most of the time, is an irritant or an embarrassment (see their reaction to my $9.95 sunglasses) to the family or others, and a spiritual weight around the neck at times. As it is, I've missed some wonderful blessings looking for golf balls.
I walk some, not as far or as fast as I used to but as the winds die and the temperatures heat up I am getting out there a little more. I walk about 2.5 miles and look to move that up to 3.5 - 4 miles by June. I use the golf courses to walk, mostly the New course but a couple of times the Old. While walking I'll edge over to the rough where hooks and slices go and keep an eye out for balls left by golfers as bad as me. I usually find at least a couple of balls if I'm diligent. I don't pick up Top Flight balls. I know I'm not good enough to be picky but I am. My favorite are Srixon balls but few people play with them yet so they are harder to find and cost $40 a dozen. I like a challenge and playing with a ball no one can pronounce. I, for some strange reason, hit them straighter. I've actually finished a whole round of golf on the New Course with the same Srixion ball. I lost it the next round. I also like Bridgestone really well. I find quite a few Titleist Pro-VI's. That's a good ball too and more folks play that one so they are easier to find. I scuff them up pretty badly.

 So what's wrong with finding a few free golf balls while walking? Nothing except I miss something worth more that a $3.50 golf ball. With my eyes on the ground to the right or the left I can easily miss the beauty of the golf course, the sights and sounds of God's wonders around me or even people who might need a wave and a walking prayer. There are wider vistas to see, bigger pictures to take in, beauty happening all around me and I'm flirting with rattlesnakes and cottonmouths trying to save a few bucks by cashing in on others' waywardness. It makes me wonder if I do that in other areas of life. Am I so bogged down in the details of living that I'm missing it's beauty and wonder. If the goal is to find golf balls then playing in the rough is ok. If the goal in walking is to pump the blood, get the heart rate up and finish the course then I need to keep my eyes up and forward.

If the goal in life is to just pay the bills and to keep myself entertained, then I guess wandering around is just fine. If the goal is a higher, more nobler call, then I best keep my eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith and press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

 Where are you walking this day? On course or roughing it?
 Cos

1 comment:

  1. My view is this Brother Coz, Jesus has been shinning his light for you to locate the best of the best,even if it is only a golf ball. I doubt you miss anything you are supposed to see. And having relatives that love the game, seems like you receive a euphoria somewhat like a blessing that us non-players can not imagine. Wonder how many lovely days would have been filled with blaze indoor work,had you not been searching for whatever it is that Heaven wants you to meditate on,while you thought you were" just looking for golf balls." You probably come in contact with a few venomous creatures in your everyday life, that you were not watchin out for, unlike the caution you use because you KNOW they are there,on the course. So, I believe STAY the COURSE applies in this case.
    YOUR SISTER IN CHRIST,
    Doris Holligsworth

    ReplyDelete