Thursday, February 9, 2012

God's Not Down With That

Some folks struggle with it, others, many others do not. Some in their struggle are burdened, conflicted, and disturbed. Some in their non-struggle are free, easy, unburdened and at peace with their world. I'm not sure who I feel worse for, the strugglers or the non-strugglers.

Some people struggle with the questions of what God allows, what is He 'okay' with regarding morality, societal mores, personal choices, lifestyles and just what He requires. Some people evidently never consider such questions. In your view is God lenient or a hard task-master requiring all to "toe the line" and He will get them in the end if they don't?

Maybe He is neither. Maybe we are asking the wrong questions. Maybe if we were honest we'd admit we are asking 'how much can I get by with without smelling sulphur and brimstone' or we are asking 'how little is required' to get me in the pearly gates. Some feel religion is a great way to circumvent the rules and slide in through the side door where St. Peter slides open a little door at eye level on the big door and asks: "what's the password?" "Well, I was a good Baptist, Catholic, Methodist....my grandfather was a preacher...... I gave $20 to disaster relief when that hurricane hit and my wife is a saint...." We will show him our religion card, remind him we are better than _________, and tell him we are really sorry if 'the man upstairs' wasn't always happy with the choices we made."  That ought to do it, right?  If it is a test that only requires a score of 51 on a scale of 100 to enjoy life and get into heaven, maybe so. What if life and faith isn't graded on a curve but on the Christ? What if the question is not just what I do but who I am? What if the requirement is holiness as God defines it? What if under those conditions none of us qualifies? Then there would have to be another way or there's no way.

The other way is Jesus, God in the flesh, redeeming sin and offering eternal life. Life and eternity are built on God's grace not my goodness. Abundant life and eternity become possibilities not by my obedience but my obedience becomes possible by my choice to respond freely to His love and offer of forgiveness. Life with all its joys means not how well I follow the rules but how deeply I fall in love with Christ and from a position of thankfulness, freedom, joy, and trust, I live, I do, I choose attitudes and actions that honor, please, uplift, and bring joy to the heart of Jesus.

Then we no longer will question what we can get by with, how much is enough or how little is required but we will ask how can I learn to follow my closely, love more deeply, respond more freely, and serve more sacrificially the Savior I love. No, God is not pleased with any and everything humans do. Jesus charged through the temple courts overturning tables set  up to do a shady business where gentiles were suppose to be able to pray. He was hacked. Jesus told Peter in Matthew 16 to get behind me Satan, you are a stumbling block not thinking on the things of God but men. In Matthew 23, Jesus called the most religious, outwardly moral folks of his day hypocrites, blind guides, snakes, greedy, self-indulgent and bound for hell. God is not down with any and everything we do, think, feel, or say but it should be the love of Christ that constrains us ( 2 Cor: 5:14).

 Paul wrote in Titus 2: 11-14: For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldy passion, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in the present age, while we wait for the blessed hope- the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

Any struggles with how you love Jesus?
Cos

No comments:

Post a Comment