Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Theology's Gone to the Dogs


                                                 Theology's Going to the Dogs


 I live in a split home. Those two free moral agents that occupy and exercise limited rule over the boundaries of our estate are at odds with one another. I'm speaking of my dogs. One is definitely a Calvinist, the other strictly Arminian.

Let me explain how I know this. One day last week I went out to walk the dogs. I go out from the side of the garage and walk to the backyard with their leashes in hand. I unlock the gate and call for the dogs to come. The male, responding to what he believes are words from his god, (me) comes joyfully to the gate. He finds it closed, but the latch is not latched, it is merely leaning on the latch. It looks closed. But knowing the call of his master and the character of his master, and seeing the leash that leads to the bliss of walking, he jumps and  pushes with nose and feet and effects his freedom. He has taken this step by faith. He has heard the call to come and he comes freely and gleefully exercises his free will to join me in a journey, an adventure with his god (me).

Now the lady dog responds at a more leisurely pace. She is a sweet, pleasant soul and sometimes stubborn. Did I mention she was female? Anyway, upon her arrival to the gate, she finds it has swung back to its original position after the exit of the male dog. It is not fully latched, merely leaning on the the latch. For her it looks closed. I call to her "come." She sits down inside the gate and looks longingly, mournfully for her god(me) to come and execute my sovereign will to expedite her exodus. I begin to move away from the gate with the male dog. She cries out in prayer (barking) and yet does not move. We move further away and even give loud and enthusiastic words of encouragement to push, lean, jump or in some way exercise free will and initiative against the dark forces (unlatched gate) confining her to the backyard. She remains inside the gate, waiting for her god(me) to come back and receive her to myself. We are now some fifty yards away and her will is steadfast as her cries are mournful. I return and spend time teaching sanctification to the lady dog. I show her repeatedly how the gate may be moved and convince her that it is her god's (me) will for her to jump on the gate with her paws and open it. She finally does and we begin our faith walk together.

Obviously, I have a Calvinist and an Anminian dog. Upon our return from our walk we discussed these issues and both made their cases. The male made his defense for free choice and his experience was born out by the longer freedom and joy he experienced by simply giving a push in the direction toward his god(me). The female made her defense by pointing out that her belief in her god's(me) absolute sovereignty was born out by the fact that her god(me) did in fact return and set her free thus confirming her beliefs. Neither would give in and neither would win this argument. I fed them and retired to the house(heaven).

I'm not sure how these two dogs raised in the same home with the same god (me) came to two totally different conclusions about my will but they did. I see their points of contention with the other and agree with some of their points and disagree with others. At my advanced age,  I view it somewhat philosophically. For a river to flow two banks are required. God is sovereign; man is free to choose and is responsible. So what does one do? This I know: stay in the flow of God's will to love one another and do justice. The last I checked, there is a river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. (Rev. 22: 1-3)

Stay in the river,
Cos

No comments:

Post a Comment